A Family adventure to North Caroline to learn a bit about natural science.
Here is what we learned while playing in the dirt looking for Rubies.
- Ruby are sapphires that are red
- The mineral is called Corundum
- Corundum is an aluminum oxide
- 5 Point rubies have the most value
- A 20 carat raw ruby (like the huge one I found) will cost me $30-$100 to have refined and then be worth about $25
- The best rubies are found in Burma not the USA
- Playing in the dirt is a lot of fun, even for the adults