Kids are eager to learn, even the stuff normally reserved for college students. The great thing about being a home school science dad is that I am not restricted by a mandated list of topics.
- Aerogel is also called Liquid Smoke. Here is how it is made ( a variety of formulas exist for different application)
- Silica Gel (silica mixed with alcohol
- Mix liquid CO2 (CO2 dries the alcohol)
- Heat the mixture and the CO2 rises to the top and evaporates
- What you have left is a material made of 98% air
- The silica fibers are 100x smaller than a spiderweb
Do not attempt to make this at home